Subject: [Leica] avoiding hood vignetting
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Oct 15 16:32:55 2005

Bill,
No, but I have successfully used hoods designed for 105-135mm lenses on 50mm
lenses with no vignetting. I suspect that the manufacturers are pretty
conservative when it comes to hoods: I suspect they think that we will stack
filters four deep and then mount a hood. Back when Zeiss and Kyocera were
cooperating you could get a sense of just how big a hood you could use as
the hoods that Zeiss recommended for their lenses were simply huge.
 My recommendation would be to do what I have done, purchase some old hoods
in a variety of sizes out of junk drawers at camera stores and try them. Two
frames of the open sky will tell you. Shoot one at infinity and one at
closest focus and look at the negatives/slides/digital file. If you have a
Dremel then even a hood that slightly vignettes can be cut away at the
corners until it does not.
 0.02
 Don
don.dory@gmail.com