Subject: [Leica] Re: Album Of Demonstration Photos
From: MEB at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Mon Oct 17 09:01:02 2005

>Message: 1
>From: Neil Schneider <neilsimages@pipeline.com>
>
>In Feb of 2003 I was assigned to cover a segment of the "Anti-War
>Against Iraq" march held in Manhattan which traveled to the UN
>Building.
>Many of the marchers were detained by police barricades from
>progressing on certain streets to slow down the march.
>There is no political leanings on my part as a photographer. My job was
>to document an area where I was assigned.
>As usual all comments are greatly appreciated.
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/album268
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/People-And-Places

Some good stuff there Neil.

On 15FEB03, I was doing exactly the same thing as you, but I was
freezing up here in the streets of Portland (and I shot in colour):
http://www.goodphotos.com/PJ/15feb03/

No one got harassed, detained or arrested here in Maine. In fact, most
of the folks at the rally seemed astonished that the police up here went
out of their way to accommodate the rally-goers even though the rally
completely ceased all traffic on Congress St (the main arterial street
in the city) for a quite while, whilst the crowd marched across the
bridge over Casco Bay/Fore River and into Monument Square.

Interesting to note that no other rally effort since has been covered as
much as that pre-war rally was. This may be because while it made for
interesting photographs (and I got my first double truck center fold
photo essay of many of these images in one of the Portland papers) the
'rallies' throughout the world that day did little to influence one iota
of public policy. While there were quite a few veterans (and decidedly
NON-veterans as it were) of 60s protests there, the younger protesters
in the crowd had heard so much about how the protests of their parent's
generation changed the world that I think they thought such actions on
this scale would make an immediate difference. Their actions seemed to
make the 'protesters' feel that they were accomplishing something that
day, but when all that expended energy went no where, I think a lot of
them got completely discouraged and simply gave up.

--
Carpe Lumen,
Michael Eric Berube,