Subject: [Leica] New 12.8 megapixel 5D. Leicanon! :-)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Oct 18 15:55:57 2005

At 5:51 PM -0300 10/18/05, Robert Stevens wrote:
>Henning:
>
>Go a few pages further into that thread and you can see the wide
>angle problem.  I have seen this also on Canon's sample images on
>the Canon web site.  Not only are the edges of the frame blurred,
>but objects get a tilt to them.
>
>http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/267995/234
>
>Here is Canon's sample image.  Even in the center of the image the
>is only coarse detail, not fine detail.  Look at the trees
>throughout the image and the grass.  It is like a picture taken with
>a Diana.
>
>http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/html/eos5d_sample_4e.html
>
>I am not trying to bash Canon, as I have a whole stable of their one
>series cameras.  I just think it would not be fair for some of the
>list members to buy this camera and then find all these problems.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert

I've read most of that (very long...) thread.

Actually, I've tried the 5D with a number of lenses. Canon's wides
are unfortunately not in the same class as Leica's, and can't take
full advantage of the sensor.

I haven't tried it with Leica R lenses, as I don't have any and for
the previously noted mirror interference. I've tried it with a couple
of Canon lenses, Nikon lenses and a Sigma 12-24. The Sigma did better
than Canon's 16-35 or 14. My very old Nikon 15/3.5 was significantly
better except for flare. With Canon's longer focal length lenses the
5D did wonderfully well; the 85/1.8 and 135/2 that I tried were
outstanding.

Canon's examples are inexplicably bad, as the camera is certainly
capable of better. Overall, the 5D seems to be capable of similar
quality as the 1DsMkII, or for that matter the Nikon D2x except that
the resolution is very slightly less than the iDsMkII, and the 5D has
less high ISO noise than either. It definitely produces higher image
quality than the 1Ds as far as I was able to tell.

As usual, the anti-alias filter in the Canons requires proper use of
sharpening tools when converting from RAW, but that isn't much of a
problem with what's available, and low in-camera sharpening means
that many processing options are open. The general perfomance of the
5D is great, with wonderful responsiveness  (unless you need a high
frame rate) with a quiet mirror/shutter, instant on, large buffer and
very good autofocus performance, even if it doesn't have as many
points as the 1D series. In the general handling department, the 5D
has many advantages over the R8-9/DMR combo.

I think it's a very significant camera with a superb range of
attributes, but it probably isn't the best camera for someone with a
stable of current wideangle R lenses.

Unless Canon does something very significant in the wideangle lens
design department in the next little while, your best option for
superior wideangle digital files is probably a DMR, especially if you
have recent lenses like the 15/2.8 and 19//2.8.

If you don't have a number of Leica lenses, I doubt that the
switch/investment to Leica DMR and Leica lenses is worth the expense,
as significantly superior performance is available from MF cameras
and digital backs if you really don't feel that the 5D Canon and
available lenses satisfy you.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design