Subject: [Leica] Album Of Demonstration Photos
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Oct 18 19:32:54 2005

Neil Schneider showed the demonstration...

> In Feb of 2003 I was assigned to cover a segment of the "Anti-War Against
> Iraq" march held in Manhattan which traveled to the UN Building.
> Many of the marchers were detained by police barricades from progressing
> on certain streets to slow down the march.
> There is no political leanings on my part as a photographer. My job was to
> document an area where I was assigned.
> As usual all comments are greatly appreciated.
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/album268
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/People-And-Places

Hi  Neil,
Well me old son you did yourself proud on this one with a fine collection of
images by using the signs as the focal point of telling a story.

Demonstrations can be good, bad, ugly, very ugly and a serious threat to
Leica gear when pointed in the direction of mean ass demonstrators who don't
want their pictures taken when they're in the middle of a high profile
gathering. In your case it does seem they were peaceful.

A note for the future from past experience covering such events.

Rather than using your very best gear, pick-up a couple of cheap "Sure-shot"
quickie everything kind of cameras and work with those when you're in tight
with the crowds. Then if some clown decides to break your head, ? Or camera,
he only smashes an el-cheapo box and not a Leica. You'll have the same
picture success without endangering your high cost main camera gear.

This doesn't mean you don't have the real working gear with you in case you
need it, but at least you give yourself the option of use depending on crowd
attitude.

Peaceful like yours the good equipment is pretty safe, but an angry lot of
strikers or other mob type situations it's the cheap gear for sure.

ted