Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Buying Leica IIIf and 50mm lens
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Wed Oct 19 06:55:58 2005

A thorough servicing by a reputable person (Krauter, Goldberg, Smith) should
return screwmount Leicas to a reliable state. The screwmounts have a simple,
reliable shutter, and once brought back to snuff should function as reliably
as any other camera you might imagine -- certainly as reliably as the M
cameras. I have a M6 and CLE, but have found no difference in reliablity
between these and my various screwmounts. Whether the separate
range/viewfinder and need for supplementary finders for other than 50mm
lenses is something that is compatible with professional use is something
that you have to decide for yourself. But I wouldn't worry about the
reliability issue.

Mark