Subject: [Leica] New Apple software, Aperture
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Thu Oct 20 19:52:58 2005

Oh yeah?  It happens to me all the time.  I run both XP and OSX side by side
on my desk every day.  When an application on XP runs amok, you press
ctrl-alt-delete, select the app or process from the list and click End Task.
Nothing happens.  You do it again.  Nothing happens.  Sometimes after a few
minutes the app will actually be killed off.  Sometimes, the rogue app will
take others down with it or even the whole OS.  They too become
unresponsive.  Often, the app will refuse to restart.  Finally you have to
reboot to get going again.  I've learned to cope with XP by treading very
lightly.  Lower your expectations a bit and you can learn to live with it.

On OS X, when an app goes mustang, you bring up the activity monitor, kill
the process, it goes away and that's that.  Rare is the case when an app
will destabilize OS X.

In a message dated 10/20/2005 10:53:34 AM Central Daylight Time,