Subject: [Leica] Jupiter 8 Lens on LTM body
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Oct 25 07:31:20 2005

At 10:02 PM 10/25/05 +0800, Ed wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone used these Jupiter 8 Russian lenses on their leica's before? They
>are 50mm/2 heard a lot of good things about them and they are dirt cheap
>atm. I've also heard some stories that say that they have radioactive
>compounds in their makeup, any idea if there's any truth to this?

There are no radioactive elements in any Jupiter-8.  These lenses are
clones of the early Postwar Carl Zeiss Jena 2/5cm Sonnar T, and in fact the
first Soviet-marked such lenses were actually Zeiss-made badge-engineered
units.

Soviet/Post-Soviet (SPS) lens quality is truly a matter of "Russian
roulette" so be certain that you buy with a return guarantee.

Having said that, these are quite fine lenses and I regularly use mine both
on my LTM and M cameras.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!