Subject: [Leica] The Crucible
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Oct 27 09:06:25 2005

Sonny

I definitely prefer the first picture. There's more scenery, more physical
depth, more atmosphere. And it's sharper - the DOF covers just the right
distance from the actors to the background (stopped down the Nocti,
hmm?).... The composition has slightly too much in the left - the table and
chair at the right are somewhat isolated. Maybe it would be worth trying to
crop them off (or to blacken the left decor).

The second picture works less for me. It is less a dynamic situation than in
the first one. And it's not really sharp (handheld slow time? Nocti wide
open?) and the people in the background is too unsharp to be sharp but too
sharp to be bokeh'ish. The black background is not black enough for me; and
there is an ugly outline at the borders which probably happened after the
resizing (that's why I always crop one pixel at each border after resizing).

Thanks for posting, and cheers
Didier