Subject: [Leica] The Crucible (with link)
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 27 10:52:00 2005

In a message dated 10/27/2005 11:06:37 A.M. Central Daylight  Time,
rangefinder@screengang.com writes:

http://www.sonc.com/crucible.htm

Sonny

>>I  definitely prefer  the first picture. There's more scenery, more
physical
depth, more  >>atmosphere. And it's sharper - the DOF covers just  the right
distance  from the actors to >>the background (stopped  down the Nocti,
hmm?)....

down,
Just
further away from about 40 feet from the actors, so the dof  is  shallower
in
the second.
=================

>>The composition  has slightly too  much in the left - the table and chair
at
the right  are >>somewhat  isolated. Maybe it would be worth trying to crop
them off (or to blacken the  left >>decor).

============
On my main monitor that  I edited this on, the  right  is darkened a bit
more.
I set my brightness with this  scale:    http://www.sonc.com/grayscale/
=========

>>The second  picture  works less for me. It is less a dynamic situation
>>than
in the  first one.  >>And it's not really sharp (handheld slow time? Nocti
wide
open?) and the  people in the >>background is too unsharp to  be sharp but
too
sharp to be  bokeh'ish.
=======

Both were  wide open.  I was trying to catch them all in the same  plane,
but

I did not, and this time I was much closer, in the front row, so I  had
less
dof to work with.  Maybe a stop down would have helped.   I'm  just learning
this lens, so I'll probnably have more misses, but  I'm kinda proud  that
they
don't necessarily look like Noctilux shots,  just do what it does best,  see
in
the dark.  btw, shutter speed  was in the region of 1/60th  handheld.

============
>>The  black background is not black enough for me; and there is an  ugly
outline at the >>borders which probably happened after the  resizing
(that's
why I
always crop one pixel at >>each border  after  resizing).
============

What I said  above.  On my monitor with the grayscale set to my  eye, I
don't

see the edges.  But another crop is a good   recommendation.

Thanks for the helpful  comments.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest  continuous  settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?,  crawfish