Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW Summarit explorations
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 1 07:53:57 2005

Don Dory showed teh Summarit Leica glow.: :-)

Greetings again. Last week I played around with a Summarit at F1.5. This
lens does indeed provide that famous Leica "Glow". For some situations this
lens has a unique signature very hard to replicat in PS and certainly not to
everyones taste.
 First up is a window portrait of my daughter. This is a little less than
half the negative as the original showed far more of the window in a
landscape mode.
 http://gallery.leica-users.org/album167/VMARYWINDOWSMILINGPRINTADJU
 Second is a gray day shot with room to show the Summarit's unique signature
in background detail at wider apertures.
 http://gallery.leica-users.org/album167/marybench
 Last for today is a shot taken while waiting at the airport. No stealth,
just pick up the camera and shoot.
 http://gallery.leica-users.org/album167/waitinginlove<<<<

Hi Don,
As much as I like these with the Summarit creating a feeling I should make
use of mine more often, unfortunately I'm selling a complete Leica Red Dial
lllf kit with 1.5 Summarit, a 35mm and 135 mm lenses along with other
close-up and various other like new bits and pieces including an un-marked
fine leather case to carry camera with auxiliary viewfinder and all other
bits and pieces.

Now when I see the results from your Summarit exposures I'm now tempted to
shoot with mine on an M7 using adapter and do some fun shooting rather than
"assignment related." As some hobby like stuff. ;-)

However the gear is pretty well committed to someone who'll give it a good
home ;-) while making good use of it. Besides I'll have another of my old
camera stuff gone. A couple more Leica's, 1932 for one with a couple of
Russian copies, Leica and Contax. But that's for later this month when many
things will be listed on a Friday.

However the Summarit does produce that Leica glow certainly if you use it
under similar lighting conditions of times gone by when Leica was king of
Kings of cameras in it's hey day. I'd like to see images of really old
buildings, circ early 30's, moody light and or early evenings with a little
light left in the sky and street lights on. Oh maybe a tad bit of fog might
help! ;-)

Some what in the form of early Atget works.;-) That mood stuff no matter
what cameras he and others of that era used.

The shot of your daughter in the widow is intriguing in that I would've
liked to see a fuller use of the neg, rather than crop it from a little less
than half the frame. This doesn't mean I don't like it, it's "the glow"
maybe a tad too much.;-)

But then we become spoiled by the sharp cutting contrasts of modern day
glass and quite often the visual value of the "Leica glo" is lost due to our
vision of today's "snappy colours and contrasts" cut by new Leica glass.

Thanks for posting as I think it's good for folks to see what can be done
with old lenses as pictures don't always have to be as sharp and crispy and
finger cutting sharp and moodless as we see many today.

The important thing is knowing when to make the "Glo" work in a photograph
and when not to, as it doesn't work every time. But in the right scene it
creates such a wonderful visual effect that's just as much a learning thing
for success as making the correct exposure.Which I feel you've done here.

One last point; The couple in the airport.... just a neat life moment
photo!:) Basically... "SEE-SHOOT!" No screwing around deciding exposure
compensation or other techie things so many allow themselves to become
trapped into with bloody details or taking for ages to focus.

The success of these type of photographs is the ability of photographer to
"SEE and REACT" all in one motion. As you say...>>" No stealth, just pick up
the camera and shoot!"<<< Good on you for a well captured life's moment in
airport fun.;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Don's PAW Summarit explorations)