Subject: [Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri Nov 4 15:52:08 2005

I know what you mean, but more precisely, the business/corporate world sets
the agenda with government support especially regarding education -
curriculum, text books, initiatives, sponsorship, and now TV and
advertising within the schools.  This is a difficult issue though to
separate the mutual influences by government vs. corporate these
days.  After WWII the lines were pretty clear but now Madison's nightmare
scenario (total government manipulation by corporate power) seems to be
accurate, and this change is well documented -  See the book  "Selling Free
Enterprise", by

Elizabeth A. Fones-Wolf.   A masterpiece.

Jesus becomes involved because churches, like school education, were
heavily targeted by business PR.  Here we see the equation of believing in
God = Country = Capitalism = Freedom and Democracy.  We all have had this
purposely beaten into our heads since WWII.  I wish I was making this
up.  But every TV show, every billboard, every advertisement, every dollar
of the mulibillion dollar corporate PR industry, promotes this as
entrepreneurial values.  What it is amounts to mass manipulation of desires
and attitudes and re-education of the "people" away from organized labor
and government towards the values of

reliance on individual initiative, increased productivity, and the
protection of personal liberty.   Which all sounds fine if you live on the
high ground.

Another good read, "Taking the risk out of Democracy", by Alex Carey.  He
documents the importation of US corporate PR and how it subsequently
influenced Australian politics.

Chris

At 01:34 PM 11/4/2005, you wrote:
>The problem is, Chris, that the government sets the syllabus of that
>which is taught to children in schools, so they are preaching to a
>largely receptive audience who have been taught what to believe already.
>The internet is a great thing in that it allows us to observe the
>reactions of different peoples to the same events.
>
>How can the selfish intolerant and greedy approach have anything to
>do with the teachings of Christ? How can intolerance of the weak and
>poor have anything to do with the teachings of Christ.
>
>"Christian Right" is the ultimate oxymoron.
>
>Frank
>
>On 3 Nov, 2005, at 20:51, Chris Saganich wrote:
>
>lots of snipping
>
>>What most educated people fail to see is that  is that when "good"
>>and "Bad" are defined by those  in power

Chris Saganich, Sr. Physicist
New York Presbyterian Hospital

Ph. 212.746.6964
Fax. 212.746.4800