Subject: [Leica] Red football
From: leica at robsteve.com (Robert Stevens)
Date: Sat Nov 5 09:37:13 2005

Ted:

I don't think the DMR target market is sports.  But, even with my 8.3
frames per second EOS 1D MkII, you still have to press the shutter at
the right time.

As far as the DMR goes, the speed seems about the same as when the
motor winder was attached, maybe a touch quicker.  I tend to fire one
shot at a time.  For that scene, I had two shots, but rather than
just holding down the button, I fired the first shot, released and
then fired another when I saw them get up.   With my EOS, I probably
could have held the button down, got the first shot and some shots of
them getting up, but I may not have got the player in black with both
feet off the ground .

Here is the first frame I fired, cropped into the action, then the
shot I originally posted, which was the second frame I fired, and
finally the full frame image to see that even with a 400mm it needed
a bit of a crop.  I think I was standing just to the right of the
goal and the action would have been at half field or so.

Here is the first frame I fired.
http://www.robsteve.com/FM/L-1060309.jpg

The second frame, cropped a bit closer than what I originally posted.
http://www.robsteve.com/FM/L-1060210CRP.jpg

The full frame of the above image.
http://www.robsteve.com/FM/L-1060310sm.jpg

Regards,

Robert

Ted Grant wrote:

But at 2 fps one has to question the DMR as a sport coverage piece of
equipment. If that is the case I'd be using film and R8-9 motor drive or
another type of camera.

But as we see here in continuous mode, even at 2 fps, one doesn't require
any faster . ;-)

Great instinct for action Robert as you've shown so often. Keep 'em coming.
:-)

ted