Subject: [Leica] Inspired by a film
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Sat Nov 5 17:39:40 2005

There is a short article in the current American Cinematographer
magazine.  My copy is at work, but what I remember is that the film was
shot on color stock for two reasons.  First there was supposed to be a
color sequence at the end so they thought they would have to release the
film on color stock.  Second the fastest available B&W cine neg stock is
Double-X.  The 5218 apparently has the same or finer grain and is more
than a stop faster.  They needed the extra speed for the way they wanted
to light it.

The color ending sequence was eventually dropped.  This allowed them to
release on B&W print stock.  Its much easier to get a neutral B&W image
on B&W print stock.  Kodak apparently doesn't keep much of this on hand
and had to make quite a bit in a hurry.  This could explain the
staggered release.

Mike D