Subject: [Leica] Capturing the essence of rain - a challenge for the season.
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Wed Nov 9 09:52:43 2005

Simon - Thanks for the comment.  I may be coming around to your point
of view (and B.D.'s,though he didn't like the young gal looking at
me).  That is, I've come back to where I started at least as regards
its interest as a photograph.

In posting both the original photo and the crop I was responding to
Adam's request for photos showing "the essence of rain," and I felt
the tighter crop seemed to emphasize that idea more strongly and many
who responded seemed to agree.

The looser crop provides an added element: the interaction of the
young woman and the older pair behind her and tells that story rather
than the "caught in the rain" story.

What I'm taking away from this discussion is the idea, once again -
this has come up before here -  that how you crop can significantly
change the story the photo tells.

Thanks again for commenting.

Dick
Boston MA

>I like the original best.
>If i had to explain why , i would say the it,s because of the
>illusion of depth with the three main characters moving diagonally
>across the street and also the expression and body language of the
>young person.
>She seems to enjoy the rain and also to be slightly annoyed by the
>two older women she appears to have in tow.
>Also she flirts with the camera which i like.I realise that the two
>groups could be totally unrelated but still the pic tells a story.
>The crops just show wet people I do not know.
>Thanks for sharing.
>simon jessurun,amsterdam,the netherlands
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard S. Taylor"
><r.s.taylor@comcast.net>

(snip)

Message from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Capturing the essence of rain - a challenge for the season.)