Subject: [Leica] The Slippery Slope
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Nov 9 20:02:42 2005

Using B&W ISO 400 or faster film, I've found that I can print up to 8x10 or
8.5x11 using scanned negatives, and the quality is about as good as an
optical print.  Now I'm putting aside here the difference between a
silver/fiber print and an inkjet print.  The MIS carbon inks are wonderful,
but in a different way from a silver print.

Go up to 11x14, and it's a different story. I think here we're a little
past the "sweet spot" for the scanning process at 4000 dpi.  The film grain
and the pixel size interact such that a digital print is a little rougher
than a wet print.  For lower-ISO film, that print size of diminishing
returns may be a step bigger.

So I scan and print my own stuff up to 8x10 or letter size.  If I need
bigger, I go to a lab.  It's really not worth my investing in a wet
printing setup at this point in my life, when there are so many demands on
my time.

I'm lucky that there's a good camera shop I can swing by on my way home
from work. They will develop my B&W film in Xtol and give me a low-res scan
along with 4x6 prints. They usually do a pretty good job, and I only have
to scan the "keepers" I want to work on further.   I might break out the
old tanks and reels at some point, if quality goes down or the price gets
too high.

--Peter