Subject: [Leica] Testing a new Jupiter
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Nov 10 13:23:58 2005

Not that I have experience with it, but Karen N. does.

But it's the other way around, he services Jupiters to work with Leica
bodies, if you have a Leica body. The bodies I was talking about were
Kiev/Contax bodies.

With them you have a situation similar to the Leica bodies pre-IIIc.
They are not in one piece and the dimensions for Contax (Kiev) were
never nailed down.

Zeiss did a lot of good work, but this one particular blemish (not
standardizing on bodies and lens to focal plane distances) is
astonishing. You had to be your own mechanic to get a Zeiss lens to
work on a Zeiss camera.

So they put in "shims" (washers) that could be thickened or thinned
(on the lenses) depending on how your body was put together.

Leica had this problem too before the IIIc. From the IIIc and onwards,
they had cast bodies and the tolerances were Leica standards.

Daniel