Subject: [Leica] RE: Digital FIBER Prints
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Nov 11 22:39:19 2005

Norm Aubin wrote:

> Then there's inks - MIS quad tones - Piezo inks (so to speak), EPSON inks,
> and others yet.  So how do you sort this all out?  At least with papers you
> can see a lot of other folks work and get a feel for what the papers look
> like - and what the various developers do to those papers.
>
> Here in this brave new world of infinite possibilities it's daunting - at
> least in the fiber world we had the works of a generation or two of
> photographers helping us sort the wheat from the chaff.  Now we have to
> start over: it's exciting, but it's time consuming and fraught with lots of
> ways to fail.

I don't think it is that different than with film. Let's say, 10 years
ago, before the digital revolution started decimating the ranks of
film/chemicals/paper makers, you could also go crazy trying to figure
out which film, which developer, which paper, which paper developer etc.
The solution then, as now, is to find something you like and stick with
it, unless something new comes along that is absolutely compelling.

For me that meant that I had a default film for each speed (Fuji Acros
for 100, Tri-X for 400 and Fuji Neopan for 1600) and my default
developer, XTOL. Now in the digital world, I similarly stick to Epson
Matte Heavyweight and MIS inks (I am obviously talking B&W here) is my
combination, although I will try the Hahnem?hle papers too in the near
future.

Unless you find a personal standard and stay with it, more or less,
you'll end up spending all your time on testing rather than on photography.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands