Subject: [Leica] RE: Digital FIBER Prints
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Nov 12 14:31:23 2005

On 11/12/05 2:55 AM, "SonC@aol.com" <SonC@aol.com> typed:

> In a message dated 11/12/2005 3:39:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> mark@rabinergroup.com writes:
>
> In my college darkroom there was a big ferrotype drum thing  constantly
> revolving in the darkroom lobby with that pre ferrotype solution  right
> next
> to it and a squeegee glass with squeegee..<snip>  I  remember all this
> amazing.
>

> Amazing.  I had tucked that same memory away with details not  needed
> anymore, but like a flash, I could smell it all over again.  The  reason we
> kept the
> ferrotype drum going all the time is to keep at  temperature.
>
> If you loaded the prints on to dryer too soon, they'd glue themselves
> firmly
> to the drum, and by the time they had made the ride three times, be  baked
> the color of a chocolate chip cookie.
>
> Then you'd have to print them again, wash them again, and probably miss
> getting them on the bus to Alexandria to the engraver and then your
> football
> picture would not get in the school paper.
>
> Which was all solved with offset printing presses and your choice of
> glossy
> and flat RC papers, a scandal that probably led to digital  photography.
>

> Regards,
> Sonny

Yes they'll never know the camaraderie of gathering around a warm toasty
dryer drum toasting prints like marshmallows. Telling Dryer drum stories.
I just saw ELEPHANT the other night in which the drying line was right in
the middle of the classroom with all the RC prints attached to it with
clothespins. Some sheet film too. And this was High school. Not having the
verisimilitude of reality to me at least. If that really happens its a
different kind of exposed camaraderie altogether with everybody looking at
your not quiet so good prints and trying to figure out who did them or they
know.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon