Subject: [Leica] Viewfinders and the 2.5mm
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Nov 14 09:03:58 2005

At 10:02 AM -0600 11/14/05, Jim Nichols wrote:
>That 2.5mm at the negative will translate into quite a bit more at
>the subject's location.  I think that, with a sketch of the rays
>connecting the subject to the image on the film, one could work out
>a correction to the paralax settings on the Imarect finder that
>would take into account the change in elevation of the finder above
>the lens axis.
>Jim Nichols
>Tullahoma, TN USA

It doesn't work that way.

It translates orthogonally to 2.5mm at the subject, whatever the
subjects distance. In other words, for any distance you're likely to
focus your Leica at, it doesn't matter at all.

It's much more important to make sure that the finder is seated
correctly, because any error in that translates into an angular
error, which usually is significant.

The most common error is that the finder, especially ones without
projected framelines, are vague enough or not accurate enough to give
a correct idea of the field of view of the lens. Most finders without
projected framelines are quite sensitive to eye position relative to
the finder eyepiece, and this can make a huge difference. That's the
most common source of error.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design