Subject: [Leica] Playing around with Elmar
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Nov 15 04:53:17 2005

Actually, Mark, I think our kids are about the same as they are anywhere.

We are just very lucky. Partly, we (my wife and I) have had a
consistent and relentless policy of reading from the very beginning.
When they were younger, we'd read for them every single evening. It
was the night-time ritual. Everything from kiddy books (Richard
Scarry) to "chapter books" (full length books), every evening for
about 45 minutes. They like books.

My daughter's favorite poet is Karin Boye:

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/kboye.htm

Book in her backpack? Impossible to say. She borrows stacks at a time
from the library (10 to 15).

But the newspaper bit is something I'll have to give our local paper
credit for. They realized that they were going to miss the young
reading public if they didn't do something. So they dedicated a
full-page everyday on weekdays and a double page on week-ends to kids.

It's not only dedicated to kids, it's entirely written, edited and
composed by kids. Every six months they change "editorial teams". They
put out an ad and young people can apply, explaining why they want to
be on the editorial team and writing an essay to demonstrate their
skill.

They must have a an editor with his or her finger on the pulse of
youth. They have consistently, for years, put together good teams.

Here's the current editorial group:

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=535

They have their own facilities at the newspaper offices. They're made
to feel like part of the team (and the _are_).

Every morning all three of my children have gone straight for that
page as soon as they come into the kitchen. The page is called
"Graffiti", but that's just a title.

As they grow older the kids started turning to other pages of the same
paper. I appreciate that kind of marketing. They have been working on
their audience in sympathetic way and have won them over.

So in our case, I have to give a lot of credit to the local newspaper.
Just a small-town rag (G?teborg is about the size of St. Louis,
smaller if anything), but they played their cards right this time.

I am one of many parents who really appreciate their work. They're
making money on it too, I'm sure.

Daniel