Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 15 10:36:41 2005

Frank Filippone said and asked:
Subject: RE: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...

>I beg your pardon.....
>
> If the Sunny 16 rule is F16 at 1/film speed ( in this case 1/1600 of a
> second)<<<<<

Hi Frank,
Don't go techie :-) on us old buddy, he made an error in his post. ;-)

> F1 is effectively 8 stops faster than F16.....
> Going top 1/15 of a second is 7 stops more light.... a total of 15 zones
> darker than daylight........<<<<

Jeeeeesh I don't have a clue what yer talking about as all I do is look
through the viewfinder, focus and shoot. The M7 selects the shutter speed
and is 99.999999% time correct .

> You can take a picture at F1 in basically darkens at 1/1000 of a second
> ( 8
> stops) .  When in heaven's name would you use 1/15 of a second, an
> additional 7 zones ?<<<

Now you're really getting techie with this stuff. You're sure you're not
explaining a 7 stage de-military zone are you? ;-)

> A better question is how do you focus the camera in such dark light?<<<

Now you know how good the view finder is on an M, most of them anyway. So
all you do is focus on a highlight on the subject. There's always a
highlight, actually after yer eyes become accustomed to the dark there's
lots of them.

Besides we're not talking about pitch black no light midnight in a coal
mine. As there's always an essence of light, yep sometimes in a coal mine!
ted