Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Nov 15 10:58:04 2005

There's one thing about all the available darkness shooting that I admit I
simply don't get - and I've done my share of it, God knows, beginning with
Kodak Recording film back when...

If you're shooting in a dark setting in which there are highlights - say in
a room with candle light, there's usually plenty of light on the subject -
maybe a face - to shoot at 800, maybe 1600 - at a 1.4 at 1/15th, maybe 1.4.
Obviously it's advantageous to shoot at f 1 because you can up the shutter
speed.

However, when there is essentially no light on the scene, whatever you shoot
with you generally get a flat, dirty image. So f1 or no f1 - what's the
point unless you absolutely must get that shot of Ahmed Chalabi passing
documents to Dick Chaney? If it's dim and dark to your eyes, the final
result is going to be dim and dark - Nocitulx or no Noctilux. Again, it
seems to me the real advantage of the Noctilux is its allowing you to shoot
at one shutter speed faster than you might otherwise shoot - which can be
the difference between getting and not getting a useable image.

B. D.