Subject: [Leica] #395
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Nov 18 12:00:51 2005

Felix offered:
> But a extreme wide can be used, I often did, in a more creative way
> without tripod or bubble levels. Let me show you a picture -14mm with film
> camera- of the Saint Peter in the Vatican where the "baldaquino" or
> baldachin, the big cover  made with brass by Brunelleschi -if my memory is
> OK-, and the huge dome behind. Hand held of course, I sincerely believe
> this is another architectural use of extreme wides.<<<

Hi Felix,
Beauty! And obviously an excellent manner and location in using the 15 SWide
lens.

Not every super wide must be used on a tripod straight and level, it's used
wherever it's ability to cover an area or create a completely different look
in a photograph.

And for the above reason is why I started using a 15mm on either the M or R
cameras when I began shooting a new book, "Victoria as I See it." The idea
was to use only two lenses for the series. A 15mm and 400mm, completely
different points of view creating impact not seen in the usual travel book
where the photographer's have used a 50mm or 35mm for all their pictures.

With practice one can hand hold quite effectively and still have correct
verticals and horizontal lines, but it only takes a tiny bit of being off to
spoil what otherwise could've been a fine photo.

Your photo of the interior of St. Peter's is beautiful! Certainly a lesson
for all those travelling types who write asking.... "I'm going to Rome what
lenses should I take?" My response "..... take all of them and particularly
a15mm or similar wide angle!" :-)

Thanks for posting this as it's a great learning shot for everyone.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4