Subject: [Leica] #395
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Sun Nov 20 07:14:22 2005

Ted Grant wrote:

> Graham showed how a wide angle lens should be used correctly! :-)
> Subject: [Leica] #395
>
>> Leica M2 : 15mm Voigtlander Heliar : Agfa Vista 200
>> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05395.htm<<
>

> Hi Graham,
> Beautiful interior! Everything is correct vertically and horizontally
> illustrating the talent of a photographer who knows how and when to make
> use of a super wide lens.
>
> It doesn't get any better than this for wide angle use. The 15mm is one
> of my favourite lenses for shooting interiors and travel photography.
>
> There isn't any distortion because of a super wide lens like this....
> "when the camera and lens are correctly used!" I suppose one might say,
> "well there's distortion because the angle is so wide."  Of course
> that's nonsense, as long as the camera and lens are perfectly correct,
> all the lens does is give one a different point of view and seeing.
>
> Distortion occurs because the photographer doesn't hold or mount the
> camera correctly. That's one of the reasons I have a small level in my
> camera bag to put on top of the camera , usually the hot shoe to make
> sure the camera is right on the mark straight.
>
> And obviously the camera is on a tripod.
>
> Damn it sure is a fine photograph because of your technical ability to
> use equipment correctly.
> ted

Ted,

It's a beautiful picture, but I disagree with you.

There is distortion - at least to my eyes - my FOV isn't that wide so it
isn't
what I would see. Therefore it appears un-natural to me and hence a
distortion
of normal viewing.

True there are no barrel distortions on the pillars, but that is in part
because
of the camera - pillar distance.

Peter

Peter