Subject: [Leica] Tiny white spots on my negs!
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Nov 20 23:08:08 2005

There were a lot of miniscule white spots on my Neopan 400 negs from San
Francisco.  I don't usually get these, at least not with Tri-X or
T400CN.  This picture is a 1:1 snippet of the "vertigo" picture from my SF
gallery, but scanned on my Canon FS-4000us at 4000 dpi.  The spots are most
visible on the windows at the right, but they are actually all over the
whole negative.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album186/1_25WhiteSpots

The negs were developed at the same lab I usually use.  What is all that
white crud?  Grain aliasing?  Improper fixing?  Chemical residue?  Seems
too prevalent to be dust.  I couldn't see anything with my 22x loupe.  But
I could see many of the same spots both on the low-res Noritsu scans from
the lab, and on a couple of pictures I rescanned myself at 4000 dpi. So
something on the negative is making those spots.

I know better than to use ICE (FARE actually) with real B&W, so that isn't
it.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Tiny white spots on my negs!)
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Tiny white spots on my negs!)