Subject: [Leica] #399
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Wed Nov 23 10:23:55 2005

From: "Richard S. Taylor" <r.s.taylor@comcast.net>

Subject: Re: [Leica] #399

> Graham - I don't often comment on your posts because, well, frankly,
> I tend to be struck dumb by your landscape photos, they are so
> enjoyable.  This one opens up the possibility of comment though.
> It's a picture my eye wants to stay with and roam through.
>
> As I said in an earlier post, I've been rereading a set of notes
> about composition and am struck by how often the photos I like the
> most contain, and use effectively, multiple geometric compositional
> elements.
>
> [Boy, don't I sound pedantic.  Maybe it's just a phase.  This is
> rediscovery for me.  :-)]
>
> Leaving the tonality aside for the moment, which is very nice, I'm
> struck by the diagonals in decreasing angles of the tree branch, the
> line of clouds,  and the line of trees in the distance.  Also, the
> wet spot at the bottom of the frame forms a triangle pointing into
> the picture.   The fact that the cloud diagonal passes through the
> far cluster of trees on its way to the lower right corner of the
> picture adds a further element.  The dark line of bushes at the
> bottom is yet both another line and one that seems needed to "ground"
> the picture.  (I tried cropping it off and the picture goes a bit
> dead, at least for me, without it.)
>
> There's so much for the eye to do.  It's no wonder we want to linger.
>
> I'd like to ask you the same question I asked earlier.  Are you
> consciously aware of these elements as you shoot or is it all second
> nature now?
>
> Thanks.
>

> >Leica M6 : 21mm Elmarit : orange filter : Kodak T400 CN
> >
>  http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05399.htm

-------------

Hi Richard,

I did not consciously consider all of the factors that you mention. When I
take a shot I usually have the luxury of time. Time to consider and alter
viewpoint (within limits), time to change lenses and have another look with
different perspective, time to tilt and pan the camera left and right, time
to take a good look around the viewfinder. When the scene in the viewfinder
looks good to me I press the shutter. That's it.

It is entirely possible, probable even, that the process of examining the
geometry, alignment of elements within the shot etc are happening without me
knowing and what looks good to me is the end result of me unconsciously
taking account of those things. I just stick to basic rules of composition,
I'm not pushing back any boundaries or pioneering any new techniques  .

I imagine when you first looked at the shot in question that your decision
as to whether you liked it was an instant decision without you necessarily
knowing why and that your decision pre-empted any analysis as to why you
liked it. Same process as me taking the shot :-)

Thanks for looking and your thoughtful comments.

--Graham

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] #399)
Message from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] #399)