Subject: [Leica] Xtol dev times
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Nov 28 21:41:52 2005

By thin are we talking contrast #4 or 5 to get a print?

To me if its around #5 its more of a darkroom disaster than a thin negative.
Just defining terms.

I just say that became I've had guys complain about a thin negative that
you'd have to print on #2 to get a print with. They like theirs bulletproof.
I like mine to go with contrast #3 shaken but not stirred.

Maybe it's just the water but as many know on the list I've just not had
that particular problem directly.

But I smell in the air a possible issue of mixing up with stuff with real
hot water.  Like the way many of us used to or still do mix up our Dektol or
D76. By feel. Not taking it's temperature. Not too hot to not be able to
stick our finger in it and not have little steam coming out. Which would
supposedly make it an even 100 degrees f.

This stuff is supposed to be mixed up not so hot.
The ascorbic acid kind of wilts. Like a rose in the desert.
If not sooner than later. Or when you least expect it.
Subjecting the stuff to heat is like another one of those time bombs.
Some call it Xtol failure.
I call it failure to use a thermometer.

Mark Rabiner
Photography