Subject: [Leica] Re: Feli's XTOL
From: jblack at ambio.net (John Black)
Date: Tue Nov 29 12:14:25 2005

> I used Xtol exclisively a few years back.  Here are some tips to get
> consistent results.
>
> 1) Only buy the 5 litre kit.  The smaller kits had quality control
> problems which resulted in exhausted developer.

The 1 liter kits are no longer available.

> 2.) When diluting use at least 100ml of full strength Xtol per roll
> of film.  You can sometimes get away with 75ml for Tmax 400, but Tmax
> 100 needs the recommended 100ml.  With some tanks it is not possible
> to use higher dilutions and still contain the 100ml per roll.  This
> is a problem with Jobo rotary processors because the tanks are on
> their side and only hold about half as much chemistry compared when
> they are used upright with hand agitation.  The 4 roll tank takes
> about 600ml, so it is only possible to use Xtol full strength or
> develop only 3 rolls at 1:1 (300ml xtol: 300ml water).

I have never had a problem diluting Xtol or JB9 (my own Xtol clone) as far
as 1+4. Just lengthen the developing time acordingly.  I think Kodak wants
us to use more developer.

Strange things begin to happen when you drop below 40mg dimezon-S/phenidone
per liter at pH 8.2 but activity can be restored by adding some Kodalk or
carbonate to raise the pH (grain too).

> 3.)  Follow the time/ temperature and agitation  recommendations
> supplied by Kodak.  Doing this, your negativse will be very printable
> unless you are doing something wrong with your exposure or are using
> the zone system.

I use my Xtol clone developer with phenidone at what would amount to about a
1+3 for Xtol at 13.5-15 minutes. The resulting gamma for Tri-X is 0.50-0.55
and I routinely get 0.08-0.09 D at zone 1 which is almost 400 on the zone
system. Neopan 1600 is something else though. Lots of good dense midtones
and highlights but zones 1 and 2 are AWOL.

JB

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: Feli's XTOL)