Subject: [Leica] Xtol dev times - PC-TEA
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Nov 30 18:54:11 2005

On 11/29/05 5:02 AM, "Mike Durling" <durling@cox.net> typed:

> I'm pretty excited about PC-TEA.  This is a developer invented by
> Patrick Gainer.  I think it was written up in Photo Techniques about a
> year ago.
>
> To make the stock solution:
> 90G Vitamin C powder
> 2.5G Phenidone
> 1L Triethanolamine (TEA)
>
> The tricky part is that you have to heat up the TEA to dissolve the rest
> of the ingredients.  TEA is not classified as hazardous and is available
> from chemistrystore.com and Photographer's Formulary.
>
> In use you dilute it 1:50.  It contains NO sulfite.  There is also no
> water in the stock solution so it is not supposed to deterioriate with age.
>
> I've only done a few tests to establish a development time, which looks
> like 8 minutes @ 72F with HP5+ at 1:50.  Grain looks extremely fine with
> none of the clumping you get with D-76.
>
> Mike D

Better be as the Triethanolamine is $8.80/quart!
http://www.chemistrystore.com/triethanolamine.htm

But would be worth it to have run a roll of film without the use of water.
Who would believe it!!?! Make for a great "trick question".

I'm going to make sure I have a vial of Triethanolamine in my holiday
stocking hanging off the fireplace this year!!!

Says it is a viscous liquid! That might make for an interesting agitation
issue.
"just shake the heck out it!"!!!

"put in paint mixer". "then go have lunch"!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/