Subject: [Leica] vanishing point
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Dec 8 16:06:55 2005

Vanishing Point is a movie from the 1970s. The opening scene is a dire
foreshadowing of the climax.

The precis: a semi-whacked out Vietnam veteran named Kowalski (no first
name) puts forth a challenge to his speed (as in drug) connection that he'll
get a Dodge Challenger from Denver to San Francisco within 15 hours. He's
already been up for a bunch of hours, so he needs the crank to keep on
motivatin'. To paraphrase, "I'll call you when I get there in 15 hours and
the drugs are free, okay?" Naturally, the 15-hour time frame begets a chase
movie. But, one with introspection. This was the era of flashbacks, and
they're used liberally to tell the back story.

Vanishing Point flopped in the U.S. when it was released. It went to England
and became a hit. A cult favorite. It came back to the U.S. where it has
achieved similar cult status.

Only a few people with pathetic, meaningless lives know so much about this
obscure movie. Welcome to our club.

Check it out on www.imdb.com.

-Chris Lawson

From: Adam Bridge <abridge@gmail.com>