Subject: [Leica] vanishing point
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Dec 9 06:26:22 2005

The History Channel recently aired a piece on muscle cars, with emphasis
on the hemi powered Challenger, Road Runner and Barracuda.

I'm sure some recall the Super Bird. Back in the day NASCAR required
production cars (versus the modified funny cars they race today). So
Chrysler hired some ex NASA engineers to design a car. They ended up
putting a bullet front end and a high spoiler on a Road Runner and
called it a Super Bird.

I think they manufactured less than 1,000, but enough to qualify for
NASCAR. They weren't quick off the line, but they had a remarkable top
end.

I rode in one on I5 in the San Joaquin Valley. Cousin of a friend of
mine returned from a tour in Vietnam and bought one. We topped 140 MPH
before he shut it down. I recall thinking that I should put on my seat
belt, but then realized it really wouldn't matter.

Even though I live in NC now I don't follow NASCAR. But I'd pay to see
Super Birds race. They dominated the Daytona 500 in the early 70's.

There are only 25 Super Birds left in the world today. They were $4K new
and go for 100 times that today. More appreciation than a Leica M.

DaveR