Subject: [Leica] Ted, May I beg to differ?
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Dec 11 11:23:57 2005

Walt Johnson wrote:
> Here  is a prime example of "eye contact" by  Jake Engel which speaks
> quite well of  honesty. Hope he doesn't mind me illustrating a point
> with it. Eye contact that seems to take us right to the heart and soul
> of a subject. Absolutely beautiful and real.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/engelpaw2005/steph27

This photo from Jake Engel is one of the best
use of the 75mm Summilux I have ever seen, and
it is a very difficult lens to use wide open
effectively.

Suumilux or not, it is just a great photo;
at first, I thought I would prefer the far eye to also
be focused, but on second viewing, I prefer
it as is, as the just out-of-focus far eye
gives the impression of implied motion of
the woman just turning her head toward the viewer.
This may or may not be Jake's intention at the
moment of exposure.

Just a superb portrait, reminiscent of
Harry Callahan's Eleanor, just as riveting,
though styliscally quite different, of course.

Thanks Walt for posting the photo, as I didn't
see it before.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Ted, May I beg to differ? - Eleanor)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Ted, May I beg to differ?)