Subject: [Leica] Sign of the times...
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Mon Dec 12 14:34:55 2005

Philippe Orlent wrote:

> Funny. Are you pleased with the lens? Reviews are a bit ambiguous
> about it.

"Ambiguous" is a nice, polite term. The lens is junk!  Well, perhaps
that's too strong a word.

It's sharp enough and does cover some useful focal lengths, with the
20D.  It's also fast to focus, and convenient to use for snapshots.

However, it has a tendency to flare like crazy... even with the lens
hood on!  And the barrel distortion at the wide end is absolutely
intolerable.  Fortunately, since I'm stuck with it for now, PT Lens is
able to fix the distortion quite nicely.  At anything over 25mm, this is
no longer a serious problem.

Suffice it to say that it has put me off the idea of ever buying another
Canon lens!

Pity, actually, because the 20D body - while no Leica - is very nice and
quite workable with the 80~200/f4 Vario.

We're heading to Costa Rica for 3 weeks at Christmas.  I'm going to take
the Canon 17~85, the 80~200 Vario and my old 2x extender for the SL.
Small kit, 17 to 400mm covered!  Nothing super speed, but with the 20D's
very workable ISO 800 & 1600, I figure to get clean shots, even in the
darkest parts of the jungle. We'll see!

Cheers!

--
David Young,