Subject: [Leica] OT: What about England
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Dec 12 16:23:48 2005

Hi Adam,
if a reporter signed off London, England he was not English. The
habit of announcing the place name followed by a State or country is
peculiarly American, presumably because so many places were named
after the home town of immigrants, resulting in multiple places with
the same name. An English or British person would just say London.
The United Kingdom of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
is our state. The individual countries comprising the island (+
Northern Ireland, or Ulster) are amalgamated. So I am both English
and British, my wife, Sheenagh, is both Scottish and British and so
forth. To add to the confusion Great Britain is England, Scotland and
Wales.
hope this helps......
Frank