Subject: [Leica] More on UK
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Dec 16 18:03:13 2005

At 06:02 PM 12/16/05 -0500, lrzeitlin@optonline.net wrote:

>As a recently repatriated former long term resident of the UK I found it
hard to underestimate the mutual antipathy between the English Anglo-Saxons
and the Celtic Welsh, Scots, and Irish. To a foreigner, all Brits seem
alike, but that's not the way they see it. The English regard the Scots as
clannish dour folk, living in a cold forbidding country, who spend all
their time fighting, drinking, doing sports that involve throwing heavy
objects, and inventing practical things like steam engines, television, and
penicillin. Whatever language they speak, it certainly isn't English.

>The Scots view the English as lazy wimps who cheated their way to the
Scottish throne and are incapable of running their own country. They regard
helping the English manage their affairs as a form of missionary outreach
work. Scots point to
>the fact that if the British Cabinet were not 2/3 Scottish, England would
slip slowly into the sea.

Argh.  There are truely two Scotlands, the Highlands and the Lowlands, and
they are vastly distinct.  The Highlands are Gaelic -- a misxture of the
Irish intrusion on the West side and the Picts on the East, with a lot of
Norse intrusions into the Islands.  The Highlands seized the Lowlands from
the British more than a millenium ago, but the folks there remained a
mixture of Briton, Saxon, and Viking and had little nexus with the Gaelic
Highlanders, though they soon corrupted the Highland leaders through sheer
graft to become one with them.

Me?  I want Highland Devolution.  The current system simply transfers the
Highlands from being an appendage of Westminster to being an appendage of
Edinburgh.  Fie on that.  Let the Highlands go -- the current holder to the
Stuart claims is a Wittelsbach prince in Germany, but let us haul him over
to serve as the king of the real Scotland, and let us allow the Lallans go
their own way.  Can the Highlands surive econmically?  Ah, there is the
rub, as they properly own all of that oil money the guys in London have
been glubbing up for decades.

Free the Highlands.  Ted Grant for Prime Minister!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505