Subject: [Leica] One off No. 14
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 17 11:59:09 2005

Ric Carter offered:
> This one for instance attracted because of the brilliant orange from  the
> sun on the horizon. When I started working with the photo,  presenting it
> the way it looked that day seemed just too much, so I  turned it down:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/PAW-2005/46bb
>
> In the real world, it actually looked more like this:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Grab-Bag/46bbb
>
> Of course, now, rethinking it, I wonder if I turned it down too much??<<<

Gentlemen what I don't understand in this thread about "changing the look of
Mother Nature's light that attracted you in the first place?" Like why?

As in this shot of the old school house. If it were real orange lit and
that's what caught your eye and motivated you to shoot it, why change it at
all? Down load, level and print! That simple! After all it isn't a
commercial assignment to photograph a pound of butter that must match the
colour of the real life butter. This is out door beautiful light, so why
mess with it?

It's the same as the Steve Unsworth Candy Floss man!
>>> http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Oneoffs/014.htm<<<

Why bother messing with it, that's what it looked like and it's tough on
anybody who doesn't like it. I mean if you didn't like the look of red roses
would you make them purple if you liked purple better? Hell no, unless you
were screwing around and wanted to create some wild and fantasy roses...
That's a different can of beans!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesh I can't understand why so many of you guys can't get it
through your heads that "LIGHT!" is what makes any photograph work in the
first place. Yes there are occasions when it's blood and guts all over the
place, even that kind of picture can use the right light to intensify the
look!

Oh well once again it's the old guy!!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited