Subject: [Leica] Official picture of digital-M?
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Thu Dec 22 14:33:44 2005

Tina wrote:

>It says that "The Digital M will be introduced as a complete package
>that will include new wide-angle lenses."  I suppose that means that
>our current M lenses won't work with the digital camera?  That would
>defeat the whole purpose to me.

Tina - I've just switched on email for the LUG again, now that I at
last have broadband . The situation in Ireland is totally crazy. I'm
3 miles from the exchange, but had to go the wireless route because
the line was installed back in the Jurassic and won't carry the
signal. But at least I can cope with the LUG bandwidth now.

I would interpret the blurb as meaning that a digital M would not
have a full-sized sensor, for which, at the present stage of
technology, there are very good reasons-which I do not profess to
understand fully. No doubt other LUGgers can enlighten us?

But if you follow David Young's threads on the Leica R list, a
smaller (but pixel-rich) sensor can be a distinct advantage in wild
life/sports photography because it increases the reach of tele lenses
- particularly with the added advantage of choosing a high ISO
without too much penalty in terms of digital noise. The problems are
all at the w/a end of the spectrum - hence the need for new lenses.
For myself I'll stick to film and the wonderful 21/3.4 SA - which is
definitely not a digital lens

That said, the major present in my wife's stocking in a Nikon Coolpix
7900 digital P&S. I may not be succumbing myself, but at least it'll
keep the D&P bills down.

Compliments of the Season to LUGgers all.

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 21 454 3328
Mobile: +353 87 245 7048
Work: +353 21 427 0907
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Home Pages: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor

Message from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Official picture of digital-M?)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Official picture of digital-M?)