Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Re: nikon D100
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sun Jan 1 07:34:15 2006

on 12/31/05 11:59 PM, Gerry Walden at gwpics@googlemail.com wrote:

>> The part would not have failed as quickly on the film body because on the
>> digital camera the perceived variable cost of each exposure is zero,
>> encouraging more frequent use of the shutter.
>>
>> Doug Herr
>> Birdman of Sacramento
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
>
> I guess it depends on your viewpoint Doug. Is our 'task' as
> photographers to produce images or to preserve equipment?
>
> Gerry

Ideally our task is to produce photographs however the reality for many of
us is of finite resources, so making the equipment last longer is often
residing somewhere in the thought process.  Yesterday I coud have gotten
some gorgeous photos of a Virginia Rail if I had been willing to expose my
camera to a torrential downpour.  In this case I chose to preserve the
equipment.