Subject: [Leica] Re: Canon, Leica and German goods
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon Jan 2 00:15:23 2006

I don't agree. The sensors used in digicams are of a different type
to those used in better quality cameras - including the Epson
rangefinder. The continuous scanning types are like the ones used in
video cameras.
Also, for short depth of focus lenses - ie not the zooms used on most
digital SLRs autofocus can be relied on to focus on the wrong thing
IME and need a manual adjust anyway to get, for example eyes rather
than wing tip in focus. I use autofocus when I need A picture rather
than THE picture.
Secondly if the problem of creating wide angle lenses for digital
sensors is as described then WA lenses for digital will always be
very big with a very long back focus, so there will be no benefit for
a rangefinder layout as the space for a mirror would be no problem in
such designs and if it wasn't in the camera body it would be in a
longer lens mount.
You are using a similar argument to that used by Leica in the late
50s and 60s where they felt that the optical superiority and compact
dimensions of a rangefinder made it a better photographic tool than
an SLR for most purposes. I happen to agree, personally, but the
market certainly did not and SLRs rapidly outsold rangefinders.
Frank

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] Re: Canon, Leica and German goods)