Subject: [Leica] PAW2005 last
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Mon Jan 2 12:26:12 2006

Philippe Orlent wrote:

> It doesn't result in a bull's eye photograph every time either, though :-)
>
> But if it means one thing, it's this: sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss.
> If I miss, another opportunity will come by. And if I miss, I learn. (if
> not by myself, then by excellent photographers like you)
> And one day, I will make the 'perfect' photograph. All the photographs
> taken before that, are just paving the road towards that one photograph.
> It keeps me going, it keeps me amused and I tend to content myself with
> that.

Dear Phillippe,

What will you do when you made the 'perfect' photograph? Stop photographing?
In my opinion the photograph itself is not so important for amateurs
like us. Of course it is very nice when we make a good photograph but
for me the process has become much more important.
I think I'm also into your Eastern way of photographing more and more.
Now a days it can easily take me an half hour before the shutter clicks,
then the developing, printing, washing and toning of the print. In the
end, sometimes I don't even show the print to other people because I
already had my fun and don't care that much anymore.

> That's why I'll never be a pro. Sometimes people ask me why I don't go
> that way, but I just couldn't live with the stress of having to make a
> perfect one every time again.
I totally agree with you on this. I did some paid photographing but
stopped because it gave me too much stress. Not that the customers
weren't satisfied but because I wasn't satisfied myself. I think that
when they pay me every photograph has to be 'perfect'.
> And that's why I so much respect good photo professionals.
I think that is what professional photographing is about, coming home
with a good picture every time. And that's why amateurs like us are so
lucky, we can photograph all day. When there is no winning picture that
day nobody cares except ourselves.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] PAW2005 last)