Subject: [Leica] tri-x and microdol-x
From: dstate1 at hotmail.com (Dan States)
Date: Tue Jan 3 06:16:08 2006

Microdol x used at recommended times does reduce film speed, but when shot
at 250 and developement is extended it produces proper negative density.  I
have found that much of what I used to call poor resolution was actually
underdevelopement.  Tri-x needs to be fully developed or the sharpness
impression is reduced.  The problem with high accutance developers like
FX-39 and Ilfosol s is the granularity increase is very unattractive at
greater than 5x enlargement.  (FX-39 is really not even recomended for high
speed film.)

Considering that maximum resolution on hand held photography is rarely more
than 60lp Tri-x is capable of all the sharpness you could need.  The
reduction of grain appearance is, in my opinion, more important to final
image quality with that film.

So far I have found Kodak's rec development times to be total crap.  Nearly
all thier films require 15-30% more developement time than their website
states.

In the end, you should try microdol, d76, xtol, DDX, rodinal and other
developers.  They are not expensive, and you will be able to find what works
best for you...plus, it's fun!

best wishes
Dan