Subject: [Leica] waiting for the fireworks
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 3 21:56:54 2006

Sonny showed:
>>Subject: [Leica] waiting for the fireworks
>  http://www.sonc.com/bridge_lights.htm<<

Hi Sonny,
Do you find you tend to shoot more in the evening type lighting situations
like this than when you shot film?  That is of course, if this is a digital
shot? But even so, do you shoot more pictures in the evening with digital
than when you shot film, not TV of course?

I'm shooting by light in scenes and locations where I would never have
thought of doing with colour film in the past, simply because the quality
would never be acceptable. Certainly without camera on tripod.

Technically I have no idea if this is correct or not. But it appears a
digital camera absorbs more "light particles" from a scene, if that's the
way to put it, than film ever did. But since shooting, 20D at 3200 I've shot
at night lit scenes, streets in Lisbon, London, restaurants, bars and home
anytime I'm motivated. And I've been more than satisfied with the results.
At times quite surprised at how well lit the scene appears compared to the
actual location. And that's before I start to PS clean-up which is very
little.

And when printed they are far better than colour night scenes done in
previous years on film.

I do prefer to use 100 in this type of situation if there's a level spot to
set down camera and shoot. But I never hesitate to spin the wheel around to
3200, hand hold and shoot away as long as I'm getting an acceptable hand
holding shutter speed, like at least an 1/8th.

Your scene here I'd have popped up 3200 and bang bang two shots in the can
as fast as that.;-) Now if the shutter speed was shown higher than an 1/8th
and I felt I'd like a bit more depth, then I'd go "A-priority" stop down and
concentrate on composition, quick glance at shutter speed and click-click.
Then maybe a glance at the screen, but I might not bother with the screen
eliminating another fiddling moment taking me away from looking and
shooting. ;-)

over to you,
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited