Subject: [Leica] Re: OT- Adfvice needed re. film scanner
From: firkin at gexrp01.ncable.net.au (firkin)
Date: Thu Jan 5 15:30:24 2006

Colin,
I have the 5000 Nikon with roll film and slide feeders. It makes very fine
scans when I get it right. I have a similar situation to you. I began with
the slides. Kodachrome mounts do occasionally jam. I found that if the join
was on the bottom, it could stick, so I had to scan upside down for many. It
seemed to be going well with the Nikon software, but I had "strong" advise
to use Vuescan: I'm not convinced by it, but it was also at that time that I
stopped the slides and moved to the negs. Scanning negs has not been a total
success. My idea of scanning a roll of 36 and walking off has not really
worked, and I've yet to master colour balance from the negs. B/w scanning
has been a real trial for me. I shot a lot of Rollei R3 film and the two do
not mix. Nikon's only comment was: Rollei R3 is not on our list of
recommended films"

This year I have to solve some of my problems: I am storing images on 250meg
hard drives and at 130 meg per image full scanning is out of the question
for all images. So do you scan at a lower res, sort and organize then scan
the good ones at a high res. Do you scan at high res and decrease file size
later ( this is what I have done, but I don't have the time to play with the
huge files and sort them !!!!!)

I am more than happy to hear a good thread on this one: might help me. I
certainly need help with negs and vuescan.

Cheers

Colin J writes:

> Is the LS5000ED the only choice here?  If there
> is anyone with experience of using the LS5000ED
> to scan some or all of the mix of films I listed
> above, I would be very pleased indeed to hear
> from you.

Alastair Firkin
www.afirkin.com
www.familyofman2.com