Subject: [Leica] Canon 5D + Leica Lens Exposure Question
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Jan 10 10:24:02 2006

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

>So what does the Canon Chip in the Canon lens do that the Leica lens in
>Aperture preferred AE mode does not do?  It would seem that maybe the chip
>or does something to denote the possible dynamic range of the lens....
>
>I am very confused...and quite interested....

It has to do with the viewscreen (which the meter reads) which is optimized
for maximum brightness and as an incidental consequence doesn't pass light
recieved from the lens along a linear response function.  The lens and
camera have to communicate to hit the correct points on the curve.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Canon 5D + Leica Lens Exposure Question)