Subject: [Leica] Was: Wurst, Now PHC's photo
From: paulhardycarter at gmail.com (paulhardycarter@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 11 10:45:51 2006

No particular story about those individuals, Ken, but the place is
certainly evocative. Firstly, the Market Caf? is only a few metres
from the spot in the main market in Sarajevo where a mortar round fell
in 1994 killing 68 people. They had been trying to buy food in the
besieged city, of which there was very little.

I took this picture ten years later, almost a decade after the Dayton
agreement ended hostilities, but Sarajevo is still a very depressed
place. The unemployment rate is very high, many buildings are still
wrecked or covered in shrapnel marks, including the Holiday Inn. The
city is still ringed by minefields. The only people who have any money
to spend are the "Internationals", the UN contractors and others whose
big white 4x4s are everywhere.

Add to this the fact that most people in Sarajevo became heartily sick
of being photographed like the subjects of a lab experiment while they
scuttled through their city trying to avoid sniper fire. Photographed
by foreigners interested only in furthering their own careers.

So when I walked into this caf?, full of people but no-one with a
drink in front of them because they couldn't afford it, with cameras
around my neck, obviously a foreigner, I felt pretty uneasy. When I
look at this picture I can remember why!

I should add that I have never felt unwelcome in Sarajevo at all. Far
from it, the people are very friendly, and justly very proud of their
city. It is an extraordinary place that I could talk about for hours.

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com