Subject: [Leica] was Nikon film cameras now 1927 negatives
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jan 12 11:38:56 2006

B.D.,
Even I recognise the improved work flow that digital can offer.  Not having
to develop film frees picture taking to a single frame of interest.
Shooting every frame with the ability to create extremely high quality B&W
with any filter required just a channel mixer away are just a couple of
reasons to make the change.  Unfortunately for me, I have so wed myself to
the M's and LTM's that the other digital offerings just don't work for me;
this is a personal problem.

So, either Leica, or Zeiss will create a camera enough like an M that I will
be happy to shoot with it.  Then, like most things in life I will take the
two steps forward with digital and the one step back with the archival
issues.  It is all doable, just another set of skills and procedures to
learn and practice.  As a practical matter the DNR standard will help, as
will whatever DVD format becomes dominate with 20-25 gigabytes per disk.  At
some point flash memory of some kind will become cheap enough that data will
be kept on something that doesn't require moving parts.  Also, at some
point, things will stabilize and with some common standard then the digits
will be safe as Brian's doctoral? work predicted.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com