Subject: [Leica] Adox and Efke
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Jan 12 19:19:11 2006

At 10:05 PM 1/12/06 -0500, Rei Shinozuka wrote:
>nothing new!
>
>recall, the climax of Jimmy Stewart's "Northside 777" (1948) involved
>something like a 1000x enlargement off a tiny section of a 5x7 B&W print
>to read off  the date on a newspaper held by a newsboy far in the
>background and along the edge of the image.  while the 100x, and 140x
>enlargements are shown as fuzzy, the final 500-1000x enlargement clearly
>reveals the date.
>
>as an interesting side note, in the film, the enlargements are faxed
>from chicago to springfield illinios.

Hysteron proteron.  The FAX machine was thought up in 1902 though working
models weren't around until the 1930's.  I am not certain about the US or
UK use of them, but the German ABWEHR (Military Intelligence) made
extensive use of facsimle machines from 1937 until the end of the War.
There is a famous scene in BULLIT (1967) where a FAX is sent in -- in those
days, the machines used a technology quite akin to today's drum scanners.
(I saw the downtown San Francisco part of the chase scene being filmed,
incidentally, and quite by accident:  a bunch of us, all High School
classmates, happened to be in the City at the time and got to witness the
first hill-climb.)

As to EFKE film, I go back to the KB14 days -- I was a good customer in
those days and even got a FAX from the company thanking me for the
recognition by the US government of Croatian independence.  I have some of
the old EFKE developers compelte with their Croatian-only instructions.

I have always developed EFKE film in Rodinal, D-76, or one of the Crawley
formulations, and I've never had a problem with it.  It is great film.
ADOX film was the miracle emulsion of the early 1950's and was much touted
at that time as the perfect film for Leica cameras, so it always gives me
pleasure to be reinventing the past and doing that which was chic a
half-century back.

Once I get moved and get my darkroom back up and running, I'll have to buy
some more and try it out with some more modern developers.  Great film.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505