Subject: [Leica] Digital storage etc.
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Sat Jan 14 11:49:41 2006

My parents, born in 1903 and 1907, kept every negative beginning in 1934
when my older brother was born.  That's him on the barrel in this photo
from a huge negative about 3.5 x 5 inches:
http://www.hemenway.com/Clann/pages/Barrel.htm

and here in the middle from an equally large negative:
http://www.hemenway.com/Clann/pages/UncleBingo_JackDad.htm

Because of the Great Depression, they were barely able to afford even
that camera. Their parents, country folks all, didn't own cameras. so
there ar no negatives from before the 30s.

I have a large cardboard box full of these negatives but haven't done
much with them since I digitized these about ten years ago, by first
photographing them with a Repronar, (basically a 35mm camera with macro
lens) onto Kodachrome, and then by scanning the resulting slide in my
first scanner, a Nikon CoolscanII.

I also still have thousands of my own negatives and slides, representing
a lot of different cameras, beginning in the mid 50s with a crappy
Brownie Hawkeye.

I'll probably never scan them all, (any more than I'll ever be able to
read all the books that I've collected)... but there they are for any of
the next generation(s).

All of my digital stuff used to be backed up on a 47gb SCSI drive which
sufficed for about five years. Now I back them up to a 250gb Firewire
drive which is usually left unconnected and unplugged... and I expect
I'll need to upgrade to something else as technology renders Firewire
obsolete.

I'm using the Pentax isDS digital a lot these days, with both
contemporary and screwmount lenses from the 60s and 70s, but I also
still shoot film with my R8 and with my Rolleis and some with the 11x14.

Here's some photos taken with a Pentax 1000mm mounted on my isDS last
October.  I set the ISO to 1600 in order to shoot with fast shutter
speeds at f8 and f11.

The distance from where I was shooting is 1.6 nautical miles to the
first lighthouse and 3 to the second.

http://www.hemenway.com/Takumar1000/

I also shot some Provia with the Spotmatic but haven't got around to
scanning them yet.

I still like looking at big transparencies but am worried that E6
processing will disappear before I've had a chance to shoot all of the
film in the freezer.

Jim