Subject: [Leica] Matjes & acquavit
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Jan 14 18:31:08 2006

Hello Seth,
sounds like your having withdrawal symptoms, here's a description of
your addiction.BTW,your spelling is correct
Gaffelbitter is a Norse or Low German word describing marinated pieces
(bitter = bites or bits) of Herring in a (nowadays) dill and white wine
sauce, or wine, sugar and mild mustard. It's still a speciality in the
Netherlands and Scandinavia (Norwegian = Gaffelbiter). The word gaffel
means fork (High German =  Gabel), so these were fork sized bits of herring.
If I remember correctly, a Swedish company called ABBA also sells it in
tins (rumour has it that this company is where four musical Swedes
invested some of their millions to get them past the taxman)
Douglas

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Matjes & acquavit)