Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanners
From: s_gregory1 at mac.com (Scott Gregory)
Date: Sun Jan 15 13:56:48 2006

In the city where I live, I have a friend who has been in the business of
developing both black and white and colour prints for over 20  years and has
in my opinion as others, been a master at doing so. He has a store front
location and sells framing etc, but is know for his quality lab work. A year
or so ago, he had to invest in the digital realm in order to keep a couple
of high profile professional photographers coming in to his store. Ilford
set up the whole process for him including scanner, computer system and
Epson 9600 large format pro printer. The work that this fellow is turning
out digitally is remarkable. He has a number of black and white prints
enlarged and framed and on display in his store and showcase window and they
are terrific quality. I even bought one of his examples at Christmas to hang
in my office.
The scanner that he is using with wonderful success is the Epson 1680 model
which has been around for a couple of years.
I have seen scans from this from 35 negative and colour slides and then the
finished blowup result and even the owner says it is difficult to tell from
darkroom work in many cases.

This would go along with what David Rodgers said about his Epson 1680 as
well. As well, I have had some Leica MP negs black and white scanned with
the 1680 and the digital prints are pretty great.
 For those of you who can get a copy, check out the December issue of
Rangefinder magazine for an excellent article about the Epson Expression
10000 model and it's performance. It is highly recommended.

Scott Gregory